Wednesday, May 19, 2010
The Apple Dress Project
When Lauren of Wearing History posted pages from a 1937 catalogue featuring apple print dresses I thought they were just fabulous, so when I came across this apple print cotton (the apples are about 1.5" wide) I was inspired to try my hand at dressmaking. I found the perfect pattern on etsy, too! It's a little big, but I figured it should be easy to adjust smaller, right? Perhaps I ought to make one of those muslin mock-ups that Gertie (my sewing hero) is always talking about.
The inspiration, originally posted on Wearing History.
Although this won't be the first dress I've ever made - I made a few garments while I was at school and university, including a 2-piece ballgown with boned bodice (looked great from the outside, but the inside was a complete hash!) - I haven't sewn anything in quite a few years. So before diving into what will probably be quite a complex project - and while I'm waiting for the above pattern to arrive - I think I'm first going to have a go at a simpler design, one from my stash. I haven't decided which yet, or which of my newly-acquired fabrics I'll use, but be assured I'll keep you posted!)