Monday, November 1, 2010

Pirate Dress

This was my Halloween dress! Isn't the pirate fabric fun? I've had it in my stash since I got back from my last trip to Thailand. I didn't have enough for a full dress, so I made the bodice in black (I think it works better this way anyway). I haven't finished the sleeve openings - I was going to finish them with bias binding, but then I had an idea to make winged cuffs in the pirate fabric.

Does anyone else have a geeky way of organising their sewing plans? This collage wasn't even intended for public viewing - this is just my project reference!

I used Simplicity 2491, which I bought after a long search for a plain 50s sundress pattern - you'd be amazed how hard it is to find a super simple, cap-sleeve, full-skirted sundress pattern. It was very easy to work with (helps that it's in my actual size, so I didn't need to adjust the bust/waist ratio. At least in theory - there are one or two adjustments I'll try and make the next time I use it - which I fully intend to). I like that rather than have a fully gathered skirt, the front is pleated and lays flat rather than adding bulk to the tummy area.

4 comments:

  1. That's gorgeous! I think coordinating cuffs would finish the whole look off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That outfit was very elegant. I love the simple patterns, they give ample room for different garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute!! I love how the black bodice really sets off the pirate print. ;)

    I make collages like that for my own use all the time... I have tons of folders on my computer full of images, fabric scans, odds and ends for any given project. It's quite madly-obsessive! lol.

    ♥ Casey | blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore it all so much. so extremely talented and beautiful you are!!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails