Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Work in Progress

I'm making view 2, in a red wool blend, and with 3/4 length sleeves rather than short (my wardrobe is lacking in winter dresses, and we've got another few months of cold weather still to come).

I've been working on this dress for some weeks now, on and off - it's taken two muslins and one false start, and I was very nearly on the verge of throwing in the towel. The problem was that even after making a Full Bust Adjustment (something of a revelation, I can tell you!) it still just didn't fit right. Turns out it's actually impossible to tailor a dolman-sleeved bodice over a full bust, so there was nothing for it but to make set-in sleeves.

I borrowed the sleeve from another pattern, using the bodice pieces to trace the shape of the armhole. It took a couple of attempts to get the shoulder seam in the right place, but I think I've cracked it now. I've only done one side so far, but it's made all the difference in the world to the fit - I hope it works out once I've completed the other side!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you never stop learning with sewing do you! I 'll bet this is going to look fabulous!! Love the collar. I've just done a restyle of a vintage plaid monsoon dress. I did it with elbow length sleeves which I have to say, could well become a bit of a fave!
    Can't wait to see your dress take shape...
    Px

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails