It also just shows how very easy satin stitch is - I was really nervous about it coming out right, but it really is so easy.
For the beginner, here are my top tips for satin-stitching a monogram:
- Make sure your backstitched outline is accurate. It's difficult to correct wobbles in the outline once you're satin stitching.
- To follow tight curves in the letter, 'fan out' your stitches (so you go in at exactly the same point on the inside of the curve for two or three stitches)
- Very thin lines are trickier than thick lines - if you want to make the project as easy as possible go for a bolder font.
- Even if you miss a bit, you can always go and stitch over the gap.
- I re-iterate: satin stitching is dead easy - if you've always wanted to try embroidery but been scared of satin stitch, I implore you to try it - it's really not as hard as it looks!