Another recently completed project, the Carousel skirt, had its official debut at our staff conference last week (quickly followed by its second outing, to Goodwood Revival).
Some notes for those interested in the construction: To draft the pattern I took a quarter circle and folded it into three. I drew in the curve of where I wanted the 'canopy' sections to fall, then traced the two pattern pieces, adding in seam allowances. I cut the canopy pieces (six red, six white), cut a template of the curve out of a cereal box, and used that to iron the curve on each piece. The canopy pieces are topstitched to the blue sections with the gold rope sandwiched between them (which was then handstitched in place). The last seams to be sewn were the vertical/radial seams to assemble the skirt. I assembled it into two half circles, then cut out the waistline, then sewed the two halves together, inserted the zip and attached the waistband. After hemming the skirt I pinned the 12 felt horse appliques and hand stitched them (I kind of like how it looks on the inside, with all the little dotted outlines of the horses!)